Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Interview with Bill Mason


This week's featured Holmes in the Heartland speaker is Bill Mason of The Nashville Scholars of the Three Pipe Problem.  Bill is also the founder of the Fresh Rashers of Nashville, a Baker Street Irregular, Master Bootmaker, former Head Light of The Beacon Society, and member of numerous other scions.  Bill's 2010 book Pursuing Sherlock Holmes is a must read for any Sherlockian, and his writings have appeared all over the place, from The Baker Street Journal to a number of journals, and have even been sited by Leslie Klinger in the New Annotated Sherlock Holmes.  He has spoken at previous St. Louis symposiums, and was definitely someone we wanted to have back!

Make sure you register for Holmes in the Heartland HERE to hear what Bill has to say this time.




How did you become interested in Sherlock Holmes?
My mother was a high school English teacher; and I was an avid reader, even as a child.  On my 13th birthday, she gave me the Whitman Classics edition of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.  I was hooked on Sherlock Holmes from that point onward.  (And that particular volume is still the most treasured item in my collection—even though you could probably get a copy for a quarter at a yard sale.)

For years, I thought I was pretty much alone in my love of Sherlock Holmes, watching the Rathbone movies on television and reading (and re-reading) the Canon. Then, while in college, I came across the two-volume set of The Annotated Sherlock Holmes by Baring-Gould.  The annotations were great of course, but the real excitement for me was reading the dozen or so scholarly essays that opened the book and learning about the existence of scion societies, Sherlockian publications, and the Baker Street Irregulars. 


What is your current involvement with Sherlock Holmes and Sherlockians?
I am a member of the Baker Street Irregulars (“White Mason”), and I make the trip to New York every January.  In my home town, I am a member of the Nashville Scholars of the Three Pipe Problem (“The Hydraulic Press”) as well as the Fresh Rashers of Nashville, where I am the founder and “Breakfast Ringer” (presiding officer). I spent three years as “Head-Light” (president) of the Beacon Society, which gives grants to schools and libraries to teach about Sherlock Holmes.  I am also a member of the Bootmakers of Toronto, in which I am a “Master Bootmaker;” the John H. Watson Society, in which I am a charter member and have the name “Billy;” The Sounds of the Baskerville of Seattle; and The Red Circle of Washington, where I lived for many years.  I attend as many Sherlockian conferences as I can, and I have been honored to be asked to speak on many occasions.


Do you have a particular subset of the Sherlockian hobby that really interests you?
My days of collecting anything and everything pertaining to Sherlock Holmes have ended, mainly because of the sheer volume of material that is available. I focus on the “writings about the writings;” first editions of early Sherlockian literature, both fiction and non-fiction (starting with those books mentioned or excerpted in 1944’s The Misadventures of Sherlock Holmes and expanding from there); and Sherlockian comic books (which number about 850 in my collection at this point).


What is your favorite Canon story and why?
My top three, in order: “The Man with the Twisted Lip” has everything a Holmes story should include: the right atmosphere, a good mystery, a glimpse at the lives of both Watson and Holmes, and a solution found in a manner that only Sherlock Holmes would employ.  The Hound of the Baskervilles introduces Holmes to his devotees more than any other tale. The book’s popularity is understandable: it never fails to produce both thrills and pleasure with each reading. Finally, “The Blue Carbuncle” is the quintessential story for studying Holmes’ methods.


Is there anything you would like to promote?
Not for myself, but I encourage Sherlockians to attend not only their local scion meetings, but also any conference, symposium or Sherlockian special event they can manage.  The real value of being a Sherlockian may begin with the Canon, but is found in the people who share the passion.  That cannot be experienced on-line or in any publication, only in person.



No comments:

Post a Comment