Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Interview with Tassy Hayden

The Parallel Case of St. Louis's very own Tassy Hayden will be speaking at Holmes in the Heartland this August!  Tassy is a thoughtful and energetic doctor right here in St. Louis and was a co-host of The Three Patch Podcast for a two years.  Her Sherlockian interests range from fan fiction to Jeremy Brett and you can always count on her for an intelligent take on any type of media representation of The Great Detective.

Holmes in the Heartland will be Tassy's first solo talk at a major Sherlockian event and you will definitely want to be there!  Register HERE to spend the weekend with Tassy Hayden and a whole bunch of other great Sherlockians!


How did you become interested in Sherlock Holmes?

The re-release of Disney's The Great MouseDetective occurred when I was in the second grade. By that time, I was already reading detective fiction (Encyclopedia Brown and Nancy Drew most prominently), so I was primed to fall for the Great Detective. I read some children's adaptations of the ACD stories and kept on reading other fictional detectives but didn't revisit Canon until The Hound of the Baskervilles on a lazy college weekend. Since then, when not busy with school, residency, and establishing my medical practice, I've enjoyed consuming and considering the wealth of new adaptations as well as looking for archetypal Holmes and Watson pairs in popular media.


What is your current involvement with Sherlock Holmes and Sherlockians?

I'm a member in good standing (I think...) of The Parallel Case of Saint Louis [Editor's Note: The BEST Standing!], and I'm working my way through both the Granada series and Elementary. And there are ten or so Sherlockian books on my bookshelf awaiting perusal. I'm actually *really* excited for the Will Ferrell adaptation. I've got an idea for a pastiche in my mind, but it seems like the type of thing that will have to percolate for about a decade.


Do you have a particular subset of the Sherlockian hobby that really interests you?

As intriguing and wonderful as I find the Game, as a physician I am fascinated by Conan Doyle himself, particularly his medical education, interaction with Dr. Joseph Bell, and the impact this had on Holmes. I've long felt that about 85% of the medical information I get from a patient comes from the interview, 10% from the physical examination, and 5% from lab testing or imaging studies. The process of medical history-taking hasn't been exempt from my analysis and critique, and glimpses of great practitioners of the past help me see the good bones in our seemingly idiosyncratic method.


What is your favorite Canon story and why?

The Speckled Band because there are so many iconic elements-- the fireplace poker, the stakeout, the dark lantern, Holmes fighting a snake... I also feel that the criminal is particularly clever in this story.


Is there anything you would like to promote?

Can I say Saint Louis City itself? We've got a lot of hidden gems here, so if you've got some free time this weekend or in the future, think about checking out:

The grown-up playground that is The City Museum
Our premier independent record store in the Delmar Loop, Vintage Vinyl
The large-scale sculpture garden, Laumeier Sculpture Park
Bird-watching and pavilion-peeping in Tower Grove Park
A great collection of mid-century furniture and kitsch, The Future Antiques
A hell of a good brunch at Rooster on South Grand
The many trains (and cars and ships, oh my!) at the Museum of Transportation
One of our many microbreweries, particularly Schlafly or Urban Chestnut
And definitely grab a boozy nitrogen-frozen ice cream treat at Ices Plain and Fancy 

If you're interested in online fandom, the long-running ThreePatch Podcast, which I contributed to from 2016 to early 2018, captures the zeitgeist of that phenomenon. Fandom differs from traditional Sherlockiana in many ways, but the two hobbies are similar in the object and fervor of passion. A few big name fans have contributed to Fandom Studies as an academic field, and even silly online fans occasionally have serious conversations, like those about creator/fan interactionfat representation in media, translating Sherlock Holmes across societiesbee-keeping, and the accuracy of science, medicine, and drug use in BBC's Sherlock. My personal favorite segment is an audio tour of filming sites in London.



No comments:

Post a Comment