Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Interview with Bill Cochran

Our final Holmes in the Heartland speaker interview is with perennial Sherlockian, William Cochran.  Bill is the head of the long running Occupants of the Empty House scion in Southern Illinois who meet every month and always have a delightful turnout from many towns in the surrounding area.  A former editor of The Baker Street Journal, Bill is always ready with a well thought out argument for or against any canonical topic and can definitely back up his thoughts with research. 

When the St. Louis Sherlockian Research Library was being formed, Bill graciously donated boxes and boxes of material to the collection from his personal library, including a complete run of The Baker Street Journal.  His talk at Holmes in the Heartland will definitely bring a smile to the face of any Sherlockian who enjoys reading and/or collecting.

Speaking of Holmes in the Heartland, this is the last week to register for Holmes in the Heartland!  Registration closes this Saturday, July 21st, so if you haven't registered yet, hurry up!


How did you become interested in Sherlock Holmes?

When I was about 4 years old, my cousin Maryjane was stuck babysitting with me.  She would read the stories to me and it taught me how to read.  To be honest, my first collection of books was a series featuring Bomba the Jungle Boy.  A few years later, I bought a 1920 A.L. Burt edition of The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.  I read it over and over.  Growing up in Southern Illinois, I was unaware that there were more books for a few years.  I still have that book nestled in a special place next to a 1922 A.L. Burt edition of The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes presented to me by Michael Harrison.  The Memoirs was his first Sherlock Holmes book.  The fact that Holmes materials were hard to find when growing up prompted me to donate to the Sherlock Holmes collection at the St. Louis Library.

What is your current involvement with Sherlock Holmes and Sherlockians?

After 41 years of active Sherlockian pursuits, and the loss of my dear friend Gordon Speck who encouraged me to go to many Sherlockian functions throughout the United States, I realized I have become a dinosaur among Sherlockians.  I remain active as "Master of the Empty House," president of The Occupants of the Empty House who still study and discuss the original Canon.  I prefer the original narratives of Watson.  There is great power in his writings.


Do you have a particular subset of the Sherlockian hobby that really interests you?

No.  I am old and set in my ways.  The original 60 narratives can still offer much to a world that has gone awry.  His words can still teach children to achieve and excel.

What is your favorite canonical story and why?

I believe it is and shall always be "The Final Problem"/""The Adventure of the Empty House" which are one complete story.  Niehter narrative is complete without the other, but together they are the Holmes and Watson of the Canon.

Is there anything you would like to promote?

Reading and studying the original 60 narratives.  It has occupied a major portion of my lifetime.  My life has been immensely enriched by those of like mind with whom I have become acquainted.


No comments:

Post a Comment