Thursday, July 5, 2018

Interview with Mary Schroeder


It's time for an interview with the founder of the St. Louis Sherlockian Research Collection and spark plug for the Holmes in the Heartland weekend, Mary Schroeder!  A long time member of The Parallel Case of St. Louis and The Adventuresses of Sherlock Holmes, Mary is known to many of us in the St. Louis area and the wider Sherlockian world.  Her presentation on the Research Collection next month is sure to spark interest in the jewel we have at the St. Louis Public Library!

Registration ends for Holmes in the Heartland on July 21.  If you haven't signed up yet, time is running out!   

How did you become interested in Sherlock Holmes?
I have my father to thank for many hours of reading pleasure from several authors such as P. G. Wodehouse and Mary Roberts Rinehart whom I first met at home in his books.  He also introduced me to Sherlock Homes by calling me in to the television one Saturday night to watch an airing of Rathbone's "Hound."  The film's dark scenes impacted my youthful psyche and I carry the impressions into my golden years.  For me there is no "Hound" like Rathbone's "Hound" and because I've lived with it so long


What is your current involvement with Sherlock Holmes and Sherlockians?
My current Sherlockian interests and involvements focus on the collection recently installed at the St. Louis Public Library.  I am fascinated by the power it offers to keep the Master alive and relish being part of the enterprise.

What is your favorite Canon story and why?
I must count it as my favorite of Watson's recollections, though "Silver Blaze" runs a close second.  He did much better in the story. 



No comments:

Post a Comment